However, if you don't have Service Pack 1 installed (this method is suggested even if you do have SP1 installed), follow all steps below:
Windows XP Pro
- Click Start > Run and type: gpedit.msc
- Expand the following items: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Messenger
- Double-click Do not allow Windows Messenger to run and click Enable
- Click OK and close the Group Policy snap-in
Windows XP Home
- Start Windows Messenger.
- Click Tools and select Options.
- Click the Preferences tab, clear the Run this program when Windows starts check box, and click OK.
Windows XP Home / Pro
To install/uninstall Windows Messenger (and add or remove access to Windows Messenger from the Start Menu:
- Click Start > Run and type: appwiz.cpl
- Click on Add/Remove Windows Components and scroll down to Windows Messenger.
- Check/Uncheck the check box to add/remove Windows Messenger.
- Click Next, then Finish. The Windows Messenger icon will not be present in the Start Menu.